Auditions for our 2017/2018 season
Auditions for our 2017/18 season will be held on Tuesdays starting at 5pm in September (for Sinfonia and Philharmonia) and 6:30pm (for Symphony) at King's Christian Collegiate, 528 Burnhamthorpe Road, Oakville. To schedule an audition, please fill out the online form and we will contact you to schedule your audition.
Please note that ALL audition/registration forms must be submitted electronically. Form is available HERE. We will no longer be accepting hand-written forms. Once the forms have been received, a tentative audition time slot will be forwarded to you.
Placement in the HMYO Symphony, the Philharmonia, or the Sinfonia is based upon the decision of the conductors. Musicians do not audition for a specific orchestra, they audition for acceptance into the HMYO. The conductors place musicians where they will have the greatest opportunity for success. Once placed, musicians are expected to play the entire season with that orchestra. No changes will be made during the season
The audition request process is not complete until the HMYO receives the audition fee of $30 (payable to the HMYO) , which is non-refundable. This can be mailed in, or submitted at the audition. Audition results will not be released until the forms and audition fee have been received.
Auditions may be a stressful experience for some players (and for their parents!). They are, however, a fact of life in musical performance. The audition experience is an integral part of the training and a process that helps our conductors and coaches to select the most appropriate repertoire for their ensembles. Each audition is no longer than five minutes in length, and we go out of our way to help make the experience as positive and stress-free as possible!
1. Musician completes the online registration form HERE
2. Musician receives confirmation and an audition time from our Executive Director
3. Musician prepares & practices the Audition Requirements (below)
4. Musician mails in the $30 audition fee (or brings to the audition)
5. The Audition! Audition times are limited, not all material will necessarily be played.
6. One week following the final audition night, musician receives possible acceptance and position in the HMYO
7. If successful, Musician submits the registration fees and is welcomed into the HMYO!
- One solo piece of musician's choice (not to exceed 1 minute)
- Major / Minor scale of conductor's choice up to 3 sharps / 3 flats
- Download and prepare at least one of the excerpt requirements for your instrument (see below)
- One 3 octave major and minor scale of musician's choice
- 2 contrasting pieces demonstrating top level performance
- Sight reading will be required
- Musicians should be at late Suzuki book 3 / RCM grade 4 playing level
- There is no excerpt required
- Open to violin, viola, cello and double bass.
- Musicians should be at late Suzuki Book 1 to book 3 / RCM grade 2-3 playing level
- One 2 octave major and minor scale of musician's choice
- 2 contrasting excerpts of musician's choice
- There is no excerpt required
- Basic sight reading will be required
Please arrive at your audition at least 15 minutes before your time slot to allow time for check in and warm up. We will have music stands available. Enter through the main door of the school.
Fee Schedule (Discounts apply to the 2nd and 3rd musician from the same family)
First Musician 2nd Musician 3rd Musician
Sinfonia $225 $225 $225
Philharmonia $525 $475 $425
Symphony $600 $550 $500
Fundraising fee (one per family) $100
Ticket requirement (3 tickets for each of 3 concerts) $225
Audition fee $30
All fees are due by 19-Sep-17 at the latest.
Fees can be paid at the audition, or by mail to HMYO P.O. Box 86068, Oakville, ON L6H5V6
A limited number of Bursaries are available. To apply for a partial bursary, please fill out the form here. Once completed, please email to email@example.com
The HMYO can't function well without the support of our great parent volunteers. We ask that each season, one parent from each family will act as a parent monitor and snack provider for one Tuesday rehearsal (for the orchestra your child is enrolled in). Schedules are emailed at the beginning of the season. In addition, we ask for volunteer assistance with concerts/special events and/or rehearsals throughout the season.
We are planning an international trip near the end of our 2017/18 season (July 5-13). Costs and details will be announced shortly. The cost of this trip will be in addition to the fees listed above. There will be several fundraising initiatives throughout the season to assist in offsetting the cost of this trip. Chaperones will also be required for this trip.
Due to the fact that the orchestra has many prepaid costs prior to the beginning of the season (based on enrollment), there will be an administration fee of $100 assessed if a musician withdraws prior to the second rehearsal.
Unfortunately, we can not issue any refunds if a musician chooses to withdraw any time after the second rehearsal.
Contact our Executive Director, Alan Montgomery, at ( firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions regarding the audition process.
King's Christian Collegiate
528 Burnhamthorpe Road West